Recently, I had an email exchange with Shattered, a thrash metal band out of Tampa Bay, Florida. This quintet pools various metal influences together, crafting a unique, yet familiar sound steeped in intensity and chaos. Guitar player, Tony Pettry provides spot on riffs that hover above Shawn Conner’s epic drumming.
Our conversation touched on many subjects, covering some favorites, such as the band’s influences, their writing process and what they have been listening to lately.
1) What are your biggest musical influences?
Hello, this is Tony Pettry the guitarist for Shattered and I would have to say that King Diamond, Iron Maiden, and Venom are my biggest influences.
2) Do you listen to any band or genre that would surprise your fans if they found out?
I actually listen to a variety of music but the one that would probably surprise people is I love The Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack.
3) What’s next for the band?
Shattered is looking to finish up writing our new ep called Skinwalker and get it recorded asap!
4) How do you think streaming services like Spotify and Pandora have changed how bands release music? Has it made it easier or more difficult?
Streaming services make it a lot easier to release music and reach their fans at a faster and cheaper rate.
5) Do you have any non-musical influences that show up in your music?
That’s a tough question so I’m going to say that I really believe in story telling throughout my music like reading a book from beginning to end.
6) Can you describe your sound?
Shattered has a unique sound which we mix old school metal with new school and the result just separates us from most bands.
7) What are you listening to lately? Anything you would recommend?
Lately I have been listening to Moonspell which I’m digging a lot. I would without a doubt recommend a local here to Tampa Bay called Re-Birth. Those guys are going places.
8) What made you decide to “get into” music and start a band?
I fell in love with metal and starting [sic] playing when I was 13 (years) of age. Shattered is the first band that I actually started because I could finally go in the direction that I wanted.
9) How does your writing process work, do you all collaborate on the lyrics or is that job reserved for just one person?
That whole band works together in the writing process in throwing ideas back and forth at each other.
10) If you had to pick just one, which album would be your favorite?
My favorite is King Diamond – Abigail. That album is so incredible.
11) Are there any bands you would desperately love to tour with someday?
Again, I would say King Diamond and Iron Maiden would be so awesome. Dreams can come true.
12) What are your thoughts about bands releasing more singles, rather than following a traditional route and just releasing albums?
I don’t see a problem with it because we have considered it ourselves just to get something out there till our full-length ep was done.