This week I was able to chat with Life Underfoot. They’re a young punk rock band from Owego New York that pumps out grungy rhythms and emo lyrics. Our conversation took us to many subjects, all of which help paint a picture of this budding group.
• What are your biggest musical influences?
We’re Life Underfoot. Some of our biggest musical influences include, Mineral, Brand New, American Football, Nirvana, Blink 182, and Title Fight.
• Do you listen to any band or genre that would surprise your fans if they found out?
We all listen to a little bit of everything. Andre our guitarist and lead vocalist has a soft spot for some country music. Mostly older songs but some of the new stuff is super catchy.
• What’s next for the band?
Well right now we’re finishing up some new songs. Then in May we have our second tour planned. Most likely another North Eastern tour covering, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Connecticut. Still planning and getting it set up.
• How do you think streaming services like Spotify and Pandora have changed how bands release music? Has it made it easier or more difficult?
Well it seems like it really helps get noticed. A lot of bands use it nowadays, we’re not against it, just haven’t set it up yet hahaha. But it’s cool how people in other countries around the world can listen to your art so much easier.
• Do you have any non-musical influences that show up in your music?
Not really. We all have other interests but don’t normally bring them into the band. As for lyrics we just kinda write whatever comes to mind. Then frankenstein [sic] the final lyric draft with bits and pieces we haven’t used. It’s a fun process cause it really lets Andre and Emory work together.
• Can you describe your sound?
We’ve been described as Alternative Rock, Emo, Punk, Grunge. We don’t care for the label. We’re just a rock band. But those tags are cool cause it’s makes it easier to define and find our music for newer listeners.
• What are you listening to lately? Anything you would recommend?
Coheed and Cambria’s new album is amazing def [sic] check it out. Also our friends in Brighter Days in have a new EP coming out so be on the lookout for that.
• What made you decide to “get into” music and start a band?
Growing up all of our fathers were either musicians or really big into rock music. So it was only natural that we’d follow. Also it just seemed like the best way to meet new people with similar interests. Never in our small hometown could I find people like me, but once we started playing music we did.
• How does your writing process work, do you all collaborate on the lyrics or is that job reserved for just one person?
Andre and Emory are the ones who take over lyric duties. James our drummer might give some advice. But for the most part he prefers to stay behind the kit. But we normally get a main idea, then add and subtract to make it better. We always have a fun time even if we disagree. But it’s about what’s good the song, not our egos.
• If you had to pick just one, which album would be your favorite?
“The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me” by Brand New hands down. They knew exactly what they were doing. Plus the fact they’re from New York like us is rad.
• Are there any bands you would desperately love to tour with someday?
Title Fight or Coheed and Cambria. Probably Coheed because they are also another huge New York band.
• What are your thoughts about bands releasing more singles, rather than following a traditional route and just releasing albums?
Well no one is buying full albums anymore. So if you put out more quality singles we honestly believe you will get noticed quicker. [This] [s]eems to be really big in rap music nowadays. Honestly [it] is all down to preference and what you want to get out of your art, don’t let anyone tell you different [sic].