Recently, I was able to email with the members of Deitre, a rock duo out of New York City. Musically this band blends glam rock and pop, forging a style that seemingly has a satisfying dash of everything. Their sound is engaging, yet measured and calming. While it is far outside of my normal musical diet, I find it pleasing.
My email conversation was primarily with Richie Bee, the lead singer of Deitre, however, I was able to get some answers from guitarist Pete Savad. We discussed the band’s influences, their future goals and what kind of music they’re listening to lately.
You can find the band on Facebook, YouTube, Spotify and Instagram @deitreofficial
• What are your biggest musical influences?
Richie Bee: I grew up listening to Whitney Houston, Frank Sinatra, & Celine Dion. I never grew up listening to any rock music… that was Pete. These days I find myself listening to a lot of Jack White’s projects. I love The White Stripes as well as The Dead Weather.
•Do you listen to any band or genre that would surprise your fans if they found out?
I mean, music is music. These days I listen to it all. One of my absolute favorites is Olafur Arnalds.
•What’s next for the band?
We have a music video to “Jesse” coming out soon which we are very excited about. As well as a new sound/EP due out this spring/early summer.
• How do you think streaming services like Spotify and Pandora have changed how bands release music? Has it made it easier or more difficult?
I mean, they definitely make music more accessible to people, however they don’t necessarily look out for the artist in regards to compensation.
• Do you have any non-musical influences that show up in your music?
The stories I choose to tell are those that come from non-musical influences…the people in my life. My father is one of my non-musical influences.
•Can you describe your sound?
•What are you listening to lately? Anything you would recommend?
Kind of obsessed with Billie Eilish recently. Check her out.
• What made you decide to “get into” music and start a band?
Writing my own music has been the plan since I was a child. In my eyes it was never viewed as a CHOICE. There is simply nothing else for me.
• How does your writing process work, do you all collaborate on the lyrics or is that job reserved for just one person?
Richie Bee: Usually I write all of the lyrics, However, Pete’s a clever man, and HAS inspired topics of songs/lyrics. Everything written is by Pete and I.
• If you had to pick just one, which album would be your favorite?
1990 – Whitney Houston – I’m Your Baby Tonight
• Are there any bands you would desperately love to tour with someday?
There are too many.
• What are your thoughts about bands releasing more singles, rather than following a traditional route and just releasing albums?
To each is own. That’s their journey.