Octopus Montage is a pop-punk band straight of out 2005, with a delightful streak of heaviness strewn throughout their music, which makes sense given some of their influences. They are great new band for fans of Blink-182, All Time Low and A Day To Remember.
- What are your biggest musical influences?
A lot of our biggest musical influences come from early 2000’s Pop Punk and late 2000’s Metalcore and Hardcore such as A Day to remember, Blink 182 and Bullet For My Valentine
- Do you listen to any band or genre that would surprise your fans if they found out?
One of our vocalist is big into Hip Hop and Pop, Such as Post Malone and Childish Gambino
Our Bass Player loves 90’s Trance Music! Our lead Guitarist and second Vocalist is a big fan of Hard Rock and NU-Metal Such as Slipknot and Breaking Benjamin however he has an unsettling obsession with Wheatus’ ‘Teenage Dirtbag’
- What’s next for the band?
We are currently booking shows and working on our next few singles, writing, recording and organizing [sic] music videos!
- How do you think streaming services like Spotify and Pandora have changed how bands release music? Has it made it easier or more difficult?
It has definitely made releases a lot easier! Whether that’s a good thing or not is a different story!
We are really grateful of the ease to upload music though as we tend to concentrate on online presence and streaming more than selling hard CD’s of which has allowed us to build up a fan base around the world. We get messages from people in America saying they like our work which is always great to hear!
- Do you have any non-musical influences that show up in your music?
We love cartoons! Comedy films and horror films! So some lyrics, sound bites and arrangements can be influenced by these lets see if anyone can spot some references we might make!
- Can you describe your sound?
A heavy blend of Metalcore Riffs, hardcore and metalcore breakdowns with Pop Punk choruses and melodies, and arrangements.
- What are you listening to lately? Anything you would recommend?
The hardcore band Knocked Loose are smashing it! We’ve always got their discography on repeat when driving!
- What made you decide to “get into” music and start a band?
Just a general love of music and creating things! It snowballed from when we picked up guitars!
- How does your writing process work, do you all collaborate on the lyrics or is that job reserved for just one person?
We don’t have a set way to write a song however recently the following happens. Dec makes barebone chord progressions and builds a riff or hook based off the notes, Dec and Alex then write lyrics to fit sections and the whole band sits in the studio and works on the structure and tonality of the song until it falls into place. On many occasions the initial song gets changed into two different songs which are worked on simultaneously. having a range of music helps influence the song to fit many genres which makes the band stand apart from the rest of the crowd.
- If you had to pick just one, which album would be your favorite?
Dec (Vocals/Guitar) For Those Who Have A Heart by A Day To Remember
Davina (Bass) Homesick by A Day To Remember
Alex (Guitar/Vocals) Meteora By Linkin Park
- Are there any bands you would desperately love to tour with someday?
Blink-182 would be a Bucket List band to play with.
As well as bands Such and A Day To Remember and Neck Deep, We would love to play with a band like Slipknot but were not quite heavy enough to pull that off hahaha!
- What are your thoughts about bands releasing more singles, rather than following a traditional route and just releasing albums?
It depends on their release strategy and how they book shows/treat their social media. If you’re online a lot, making videos and promoting/networking online, singles are great!
If you gig a lot more then having hard copies of an album to sell or give out would help you more as its all compiled together for fans to pick up easily.